Casa Grande to Catalina State Park

 

Saturday March 19th











Today is our eighth day straight riding without a “holiday”.  Fortunately tomorrow is a rest day at the Park Campground.  Not a long ride today but the wind was coming directly into our face from the Southeast.  And no wi fi at the park.  I can get a weak cell signal if I walk away from the camp, hold the phone over my head and look toward the heavens.  Hot and Sunny, but no Interstate 8.  I believe I-8 ended around Casa Grande and sorta merges with I-10.  So slow going, most of the morning spent in my small chainring averaging 10-11mph.   Lunch stop was in the town of Marana, another little Mexican roadside restaurant.  After a giant, hadda be three pound bean and chicken burrito, and a quart of Dr Pepper we started the final assault uphill into the foothills to Catalina State Park. The last few miles were on the Tucson bike path, a very impressive route in and around Tucson. We stayed here 2 years ago, very clean best in class showers and bathroom.  It is Saturday afternoon and the park signage says FULL.  The Wolf pack, 4 guys who set up our tents were running behind, so it was an afternoon waiting around for our tents and luggage to be brought together.  Fortunately for me, mine was the first tent assembled so I got in early to the showers and then of course my daily beer. Salmon for dinner.  Ice cream sundaes followed. My lights went out shortly after 8 PM. Pedaled 55.7 miles and climbed 1,530 feet today at an average 11.3 mph. Calories burned were 2391. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Countdown till March 9, 2022

DeRidder LA to Mamou LA